Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Easy Baby Hat from the top - down


I have been working on different styles of Pixie hats since my daughter said she would like to have one for photographing newborns. Check out her Touched Photography site. She does quite well. Anyway some of my baby hats have been coming out huge. Connie shared with me a technique, I'm not really sure what it's called. The hat is knitted from the top down to the brim.

Using sport weight yarn and a circular needle size 5 ( you can also use straight needles since this hat is really not knitted in the round, I just like to work with the needles connected. I started casting on 4 stitches. To make the long cord follow the pattern.

R1 - Knit 1, slip 1 - ending with a slip 1 and turn.
Repeat this row until the desired length

You will need to make increases starting at the crown until you have the desired width. I made 6 increases every third row. I stopped increasing when I had 68 stitches. For a smaller hat increase less stitches. At this point you can transfer your stitches to a 16 inch circular needle. You will then turn your work so the knitted stitches are facing you. If you make a hat using this technique you avoid using the double point needles or the magic loop technique. As you work back and forth you are basically creating a pocket. To avoid ladders or loose stitches on the ends you do have to tighten a little bit when you turn after every row.


1 comment:

Connie said...

Perfect explanation of the technique. It is called Double Knitting and yes, you are knitting in the round on a straight knitting needle!